A hundred and twenty one people were arrested on Saturday night for drunk driving in Johannesburg, metro police said on Sunday.
“The metro police held road blocks on main roads in Randburg, Soweto and Johannesburg CBD,” said Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar.
“Those who were arrested were taken to alcohol evidence centres where they were breathalysed and individual print outs of their alcohol breath limits were attached to a docket.”
They were then taken to police stations and placed in police cells, he said. After about three hours they were released on bail which ranged from R800 to R1500.
Minnaar said all 121 were expected to appear in court on Monday.
The road blocks were part of the national rolling enforcement plan to stop one million cars a month, he said.
Car Insurance and Drunk Driving
We need to emphasize the following:
– Drunk driving is irresponsible and is against the law.
– Even if you are not found to be above the limit -you still pose a threat to the lives of other road users if your ability to drive responsibly is reduced!
– Your car is only insured if the driver is operating such vehicle within the parameters of the Rules of the Road.
– Car Insurers do not need to pay an insurance claim if the driver is found to be driving drunk!
– The best way to prevent drunk driving is to use self-breathalysing to ensure that you are not over the limit and to have a designated driver take you home!!
- Insured vehicle owners need a reality check about drunk driving
- Do not mix energy drinks and alcohol before driving
- Drunk driving could sharply increase your car insurance premium!
- Will my car insurance pay if I drive drunk?