We have included several rather detailed posts on finding cheaper car insurance quotes. It is however also important to add a quick and easy to remember summary of these posts!
The following easy steps will guide you along the way to cheaper car insurance:
- Compare car insurance quotes! Request several quotes from different insurance provider and compare these quotes. A minimum of 5 quotes is advised.
- Go online to find cheaper car insurance prices! Get quotes online from direct insurers and internet-based companies. Do not get stuck only with traditional insurers – also approach direct insurers who tend to be very competitive!
- Review your Policies yearly! Communicate this with your insurer or broker – they will not be aware of changes in your risk profile and might neglect to improve your premium even if you have driven accident-free the last year.
- Do you still need comprehensive insurance while driving an old car? Consider changing your collision cover. This is especially important if the car is worth the same or less as the deductible + the monthly insurance.
- Review the amount of excess / standard deductible. This is the amount payable by you in the event of an accident. Increasing this amount may provide you with a significant discount on your monthly car insurance premium.
- Carefully read your policy and addendums with caution to any fine print! Do not be misled by any new additions and changes to your policy. Keep your policy and all policy documentation in a safe place.
- Who are the regular drivers? Take family members off the insurance who have left the home and are no longer regular drivers. If these family members only occasionally drive your car, they are insured anyway.
- Negotiate with the insurers and ask for possible discounts – the easiest way to get cheap car insurance is simply to ask for it. Also ask for the upcoming discounts. Be aware of industry trends and “newer generation” products!
- What are your insurance needs and are you and your wife both regular drivers. If this is indeed the case, consider putting the insurance on the women’s name. It is a fact that women are regarded as safer drivers and insurance companies offer women a cheaper car insurance premium. Be alert however that both needs to be regular drivers – if the insurer find that the man was the full time driver and the vehicle was registered in the name of the wife – this could be seen as a fraudulent disclosure of the facts and you risk having the claim dismissed!
- Consider to combine insurance needs and insure at one insurer. By placing home, household and car insurance with one insurer can provide a significant costs saving.