Even if you have a 4×4 vehicle it remains important to approach any water crossing with caution! On the Arrive Alive website we have very important information about 4×4 vehicle safety and we have also previously addressed the warning of the Ombudsman about car insurance and engine damage resulting from driving through water.
For more on this also view:
For a brief summary on 4×4 Vehicle Safety and Water Crossings view:
- Walk the crossing to check its depth.
- Don’t cross fast flowing water.
- Place markers at hidden obstacles.
- Place a tarp across the front of the vehicle.
- Disconnect the fan belt if a viscous coupling fan is not fitted.
- Spray water repellent on distributor and ignition wires.
- Pack recovery gear on top, ready for use.
- Take off seat belt and wind down window.
- Use low range 2nd gear (in most situations).
- Drive at a steady speed to create a bow wave.
- Avoid using the clutch.
- Do not over-rev engine if you lose traction.
- If engine stalls, place in neutral without using clutch to restart. Takeoff in 1st low.
Post Watercrossing maintenance
- Check diffs etc for water if depth above axles.
- Check winches if fitted.
For 4×4 Vehicles and Car Insurance also view: