- Stylish re-work – everything you need in just one model
- Structural improvements to improve body rigidity and NVH
- Suspension changes to improve ride and handling
Lexus has unveiled its new-look CT 200h featuring new styling, improved body structure, revised suspension and new specification.
Central to these improvements are additional spot welding and body strengthening measures, revised suspension tune for improved ride comfort and a new styling package.
Lexus SA General Manager, Justin Ryan, says that the wide ranging improvements to the CT 200h are much more than skin deep.
“The depth of these improvements go right to the heart of the newcomer, focusing on its aesthetic appeal, handling capabilities and overall driveability.
“A further change is the rationalisation of the range to just one model – with standard features like leather, dual climate control and every conceivable piece of safety kit, you’ve got the perfect compact luxury hatch,” Justin says.
“The upgraded CT also reinforces Lexus’ commitment to delivering engaging design and enjoyable dynamics across our entire product line-up.”
Improved driving comfort and refinement
The new CT 200h combines increased body rigidity, suspension revisions and enhanced aerodynamics with comprehensive NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) measures to offer a more refined, comfortable driving experience and an even quieter cabin environment.
Body rigidity has been improved through additional spot welding and the extensive use of structural adhesive technology.
Increased body rigidity has also allowed for suspension re-tuning. Coil spring rates have been optimised, a new shock absorber valve adopted, and the rear stabiliser bar diameter altered to enhance ride comfort with no loss of handling agility.
What’s more, a traction control off switch has been added for greater driver control.
Steering responsiveness has also been improved thanks to the optimisation of the Electric Power Steering (EPS) system to create a smoother, more natural steering feel.
Complementing the overall improvements are no less than 94 separate measures adopted to further reduce NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness).
Some examples of the aforementioned include:
- Improved sound absorbing material which has been adopted for the rear wheel housing liner.
- The addition of fender separators which prevent noise from entering the cabin through the space between the fender and front apron.
- The addition of sealer coating to reduce the amount of engine and road noise that penetrates the cabin.
- The adoption of a new-design hybrid inlet duct that combines superior quietness with excellent intake efficiency.
New exterior design
The new CT 200h becomes the seventh (and most recent) Lexus vehicle to receive the luxury marque’s spindle grille – reinforcing the CT’s low front profile and wide track.
In profile, the new CT 200h is distinguished by newly developed 10-spoke 16″ alloys.
The other major visual change takes place at the rear. An all-new bumper design features a more horizontal structure. It incorporates distinctive L-shaped reflector housings and a black lower centre section to emphasise the vehicle’s low centre of gravity and broad rear stance.
At a glance then, the revised exterior package comprises:
- a new spindle grille,
- separate mouldings for the front bumper creating a clear distinction between the lower grille and upper grille to lend a three-dimensional effect,
- new rear bumper with pronounced reflector housing recesses and mock diffuser,
- new shark fin antenna,
- aero stabilising fins which have been added onto the rear combination lamps and door frames as well as the engine and rear floor undercovers.
Refined interior design and upgraded equipment
The new CT 200h interior has been refined to offer greater comfort, enhanced levels of equipment and improved visual and tactile quality.
Detail enhancements include:
- A new design, smaller diameter (370mm) steering wheel with an enlarged L emblem in the centre, matching that of the IS model range.
- Re-designed shift lever which now changes to Lexus silver and features a leather-upholstered boot.
- Metallic-plated ornamentation for the audio switches; an accessory connector socket cover has also been added.
- Upholstered armrest.
- Ticket holder for the passenger’s sun visor.
- Improved window switch illumination.
- Rear seatbelt indicator.
- New-design Hybrid ECO indicator.
- New Topaz (toffee brown) leather upholstery option.
|1.8 4-cylinder Atkinson Cycle petrol engine
||73 kW @ 5200 rpm / 142 Nm @ 2800-4400rpm
|High-output electric Motor
||60 kW / 207 Nm
|Total system output (petrol engine & electric motor)
||205/55 R16 alloy
|Front and rear fog lamps
|Rear combination lamps
|Exterior Rear view mirror
||Retractable & heated
|Leather upholstery (topaz or black)
|Multi-function steering wheel
||Std (display, audio, voice, tel)
|Remote central locking with Start/Stop button
|Multi Information Display
|Audio system (radio, CD, aux input & USB)
|ABS, BA, EBD, VSC, Traction Control (TRC), Hill Assist Control (HSC)
||7 (driver, front passenger, side, curtain and knee)
||180 km/h (governed)
|Fuel consumption (combined)
||4,1 litres/100 km
Pricing and warranty
CT 200h - R388 800
The new CT 200h is covered by a four-year/100 000 km warranty and service plan. For more information or to arrange a drive experience, visit www.lexus.co.za, call 08611 LEXUS or join Lexus on Facebook at www.facebook.com/LexusSouthAfrica.