Could somebody please contact me, either Alta or Jody to explain to me about traffic register numbers? I have been advised by a driving school in Johannesburg that they use traffic register numbers for those foreign nationals who wish to apply for either learners permits, licences or who want to register a motor vehicle.

Separately, we are currently instructing a lawyer to take legal action against the Department of Transport in respect of this. If it can be resolved via help from a staff member from RTMC or someone that has some practical knowledge of this situation that would obviously be preferable.


Traffic register number certificates are a form of acceptable identification for foreigners. It is covered in the definition of acceptable identification but it does not apply to someone who has permanent residence.



Alta Swanepoel and Associates

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

clear formSubmit