Traffic Lights that are either not working or malfunctioning are causing much frustration to motorists. It is of the utmost importance that drivers should be alert to these dangers and approach intersections with even more caution!!
A regular visitor emailed this photo about conflicting message from traffic lights. This is however not a matter for “your own discretion” – there are Rules of the Road!!
On the Arrive Alive website there is information on “Loadshedding and Road Safety”.
We would like to quote from the information and share advice about safe driving during these times when we find traffic lights out of order:
Traffic Lights / Intersections
Most of the frustration on the road is caused by delays when traffic lights are out! There are a few basic tips to follow that will protect the road user and avoid frustrations:
* If traffic lights are out of order / not working etc – the crossing becomes a stop street / [four way stop!]
* This means that you have to follow the Rules of the Road for a four way stop
* Even if there is no traffic from the other roads –You still need to stop!
* If the vehicle in front of you crosses the intersection – you would have to allow the vehicles from the other stops to enter the crossing before you can make your move
* This means that you might have to wait for 3 other vehicles from 3 different directions to pass
* Be polite and pass swiftly whilst still cautious of possible offenders
* Be alert to the sequence of vehicles from other directions approaching the intersection
And the big NO’s
* Do not tailgate the vehicle in front of you to slip through under the radar
* Be alert to innocent mistakes – do not become a victim of road rage
* Refrain from rude gestures