I am in conversation, at the moment amicably, with a company’s who’s building lights, shines into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
Which law or by law governs this and is it available online somewhere to read? I have searched the web but can not find anything.
The relevant provision is regulation 337 of the National Road Traffic Regulations.
Reg 337. Prohibition of use of certain lamps or lighting devices
(1) No person shall use a lamp or lighting device in such a manner that the visibility of such lamp or lighting device from a public road, endangers public safety.
(2) This regulation does not apply to lamps and lighting devices which are used-
(a) on a motor vehicle;
(b) in accordance with any law;
(c) by the State or any other statutory body, in the execution of its functions, powers and duties; or
(d) under a written authorisation issued by the local authority concerned.
(3) Lamps and lighting devices which are in use in contravention of the
provisions of subregulation (1) at the date of commencement of this regulation, may be so used until such time as the local authority concerned directs that it be removed or altered in terms of subregulation (5), in which event the cost of such removal or alteration shall be borne by the persons so using the lamps or lighting devices.
(4) The local authority concerned may authorise the use of a lamp or lighting device which is visible from a public road under such conditions and for such a period as determined by such local authority and such authorisation may be altered or revoked at any time by that local authority.
(5) If the local authority concerned is satisfied that a lamp or
lighting device is used in contravention of the provisions of this regulation, that local authority may by written notice direct the person so using such lamp or lighting device, to alter or remove that lamp or lighting device at his or her cost within the period determined by that local authority, which period shall not be less than 14 days.
(6) If a direction in terms of subregulation (5) has not been complied with within the period referred to in that subregulation, the local authority concerned may remove or alter the lamp or lighting device concerned and recover the cost of such removal or alteration from the person using such lamp or lighting device.
(7) For the purposes of this regulation a lamp or lighting device shall be deemed to be used by the person on whose property such lamp or lighting device has been erected.
Alta Swanepoel and Associates CC