There were 1582 road accident deaths over the festive season, a decrease from 1655 in 2008, Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele said. There were 1247 recorded vehicle crashes.
Minister Ndebele expressed his concern about the behaviour on our roads in saying that “Our behaviour on the road is not expressive of a free democratic society.”
The Minister also remarked:
- Drivers tended to believe they were the only ones on the road and ignored fellow motorists and pedestrians.
- Drivers need to place more value on human life and exercise respect and democracy on our roads.
What are the indicators of inconsiderate and bad driving?
During the festive season more than 1500 roadblocks were conducted and more than 1.2 million vehicles and drivers checked. From the enforcement activities the following interventions were made:
- More than 6000 vehicles, including 1536 buses and 1669 minibus taxis were pulled off the roads.
- More than 5900 arrests were made – including drunk driving (3917), reckless or negligent driving (314), speeding (415), overloading (250), public transport offences (246), driving licences and false documents (251) and other offences (589).
- 218 pedestrians were arrested for jaywalking.
- More than 447,000 speed camera offences were recorded.
- More than 330,000 fines were issued directly to motorists for various other offences.
So why share this on the car insurance blog?
This data is alarming and confirmation of why it is so important to have your car insured. Even though you might be doing your very best for your safety and the safety of your vehicle – you are sharing the road with so many lawless road users and non-roadworthy vehicles!
So why should you change your attitude on the road?
If you are the average road user you should try to be more than average on alertness and vigilance. Try to think not only for yourself, but also for the error that the other driver might make. Never assume that the other driver will indicate before changing lanes, or that he should and therefore WILL obey the traffic signs.
May we avoid financial loss from vehicle damage not only with the correct car insurance product, but also by our vigilance on the roads!