Hi, I have a old ID with my license in it. I went overseas to the UK for 10 years and just returned. I have a full UK Driving License and want to exchange it for a South African driving license. My son who is 19 have the same problem. Went to license department and they want a letter from British Embassy. My son and husband went there this morning (all the way to Pta) just to find it is closed. Please help! Advice please
In terms of legislation, a driving licence which was officially included in an identity document ceased to be deemed valid in 2003. However the legislation makes provision for consideration in cases where the holder of such licence was on contract of employment outside the borders of South Africa to can still apply for a card type driving licence within 6 months of return in the country. The applicant will have to follow the due processes for application of a driving licence.
In case of a foreign issued driving licence, the holder thereof can apply to have the driving licence converted to a South African driving licence once they have resumed or obtained permanent residency and during the validity period of such a licence. Once permanent residency has been obtained, holders of a foreign licence have one year in which to convert their foreign driving licence (or IDP together with driving licence for which it was issued) to a RSA licence after which failure to convert will render the licence invalid to convert or to drive with. The following process can be followed:
• Complete form DL1, Application for exchange of a driving licence at an appropriate driving licence testing centre.
• Produce the following documents:
– acceptable identification as required by South African legislation (e.g. identity document (ID), temporary ID, valid South African passport, or foreign passport with permanent residence permit)
– a letter from a competent authority confirming the validity of your foreign driving licence. The letter should also define the class of licence. (type of vehicle that can be driven) and indicate if there are any suspensions on the driving licence
– foreign driving licence
– ID photos
• Pay the prescribed fee.
• An eye test will be conducted at the centre.
The forms and more details can be accessed on www.enatis.com .
Further note that the foreign issued licence is recognised and can be used for driving the class of motor vehicle as authorised by the licence, provided that is in a language that is used in South Africa and has a photograph of the holder.
Hopeful that the response provided answers your question.