We find too many collisions at intersections and often ask ourselves – how could this have happened, who transgressed the rules of the road and do we not know by now how to drive at an intersection? Our K53 expert Gavin Hoole extracted some details from the National Road Traffic Act in regard to the K53 Driving Licence testing requirements as well as the rules that apply to a green traffic light at an intersection.
Rules and Regulations: What does the K53 stipulate?
K53 DRIVING LICENCE TEST REQUIREMENTS
MODULE 35: Intersections – turning right
1. Check rear-view mirror(s) and blind spot to the right.
2. Signal intention.
3. Obey all road traffic signs, signals, rules and markings.
4. Check blind spot to the right, if applicable.
5. Position vehicle in lane, if necessary.
6. Check rear-view mirror(s).
7. Decelerate, if necessary.
8. Brake, if necessary.
9. Select gear, if necessary.
10. Yield to approaching traffic and/or pedestrians, if necessary.
11. Stop, if necessary. (Ensure that wheels are straight where possible or appli-cable)
12. Select gear, if necessary.
13. Observe, if applicable.
14. Move off/proceed, if necessary.
15. Check blind spot to the right, if applicable.
16. Steer into appropriate lane, obeying all road traffic signs, signals, rules and markings.
17. Accelerate as necessary.
18. Cancel signal.
Position vehicle as close as possible towards centre of intersection prior to turning with due safety and consideration for approaching vehicles.
Should the traffic signal change the vehicle waiting within such intersection shall be given the opportunity to leave, when safe to do so.
A blind spot check shall be made just before changing direction. Should the applicant have steered to the right before stopping, it is unnecessary to check the blind spot again after moving off. The observation for moving off shall be sufficient.
MODULE 42: Intersections – traffic lights (green)
1. Check rear-view mirror(s).
2. On approach, look right, left and ahead for cross traffic, approaching traffic and/or pedestrians.
3. Check blind spot, if applicable.
4. Position vehicle, if necessary.
5. Check rear-view mirror(s), if necessary.
6. Brake, if necessary.
7. Select gear, if necessary.
8. Stop, if necessary.
9. Observe, if applicable.
10. Move off/proceed, if safe.
A flashing green arrow in conjunction with a steady red, indicates that traffic may proceed in the direction of the arrow subject to the right of way of pedestrians and vehicular traffic lawfully within the intersection.
A steady green arrow indicates that traffic may proceed in that direction subject to the right of way of pedestrians and vehicular traffic lawfully within the intersection.
Official K53 Learner’s & Driving Licence Test Manuals