The South African Weather Service has confirmed that Tropical Cyclone Dineo is expected to hit parts of Kwa-Zulu Natal, Mpumalanga and Limpopo on Thursday, 16 February 2017. The cyclone is expected to bring strong winds, heavy rainfall and flooding.
Mutual & Federal says that there are a number of things individuals and businesses can do to minimise the damage during the cyclone. These include:
- Secure all outdoor items such as outside furniture and umbrellas;
- Close and lock all your windows;
- Secure and place pot plants inside;
- Avoid being outside;
- Ensure your shutters on your windows are secured;
- Stow away your dustbin indoors.
- Put your automatic gate on manual before the storm;
- Keep your animals inside;
- Avoid driving as much as possible;
- Ensure your gutters are clean from debris;
- Unplug all electrical items where possible;
- Park cars in a secure parking such as a garage;
- Avoid driving through flood areas;
- If you are stuck in the flood, move to higher ground;
- Place towels near gaps in the door to prevent water from entering your home;
- Remove high-value items out of water-level i.e. jewelry, electronics, sentimental items, etc.
— Arrive Alive (@_ArriveAlive) February 16, 2017