The South African Police Service in the North West noted with concern a number of escalating cases of car and truck hi-jacking especially in Rustenburg and Brits Clusters.
In some of the recently reported cases of truck hi-jacking along N4, the suspects allegedly pretended to be warning drivers by flashing cell phone lights and signalling that something is either hanging beneath or protruding from the truck. Upon stopping to investigate, the driver would then be approached, pointed with a firearm, threatened and ultimately hijacked. The drivers are therefore advised to take heed and apply the following safety tips:
- Do not stop if you are not sure about your safety.
- Avoid stopping in dark and deserted areas along the road.
- If you stop to rest, ensure that it is at a safe and visible place where people can notice easily when crime is committed.
- Do not offer lifts to hitch-hikers.
- Report crime immediately to the police after commission as that enhances chances of tracking the suspect and recovery of goods involved.