It’s an interesting fact that when it comes to holiday road trips, nearly all the emphasis goes into the planning and arrival stages. Comparatively little thought goes into the return trip. Tiger Wheel & Tyre is encouraging motorists to face reality and take the necessary tyre safety precautions for the inevitable return trip.
“Returning home, your state of mind will probably be somewhere between completely relaxed and totally exhausted, so set a reminder on your phone now so you remember to take the necessary tyre safety precautions to ensure a safe trip home,” said Group Marketing Executive, Joe du Plooy.
That’s solid advice, and Tiger Wheel & Tyre has more of the same to offer motorists to ensure many happy returns.
- Check tyre pressures and inflate to the manufacturer’s recommendation, allowing for the fact that your vehicle is probably fully loaded. This includes any trailers or caravans that are along for the ride. Improperly inflated tyres wear out faster, burn more petrol and are a blowout risk.
- Inflate with nitrogen. Nitrogen-inflated tyres maintain their pressure for longer and run cooler, so tyres last up to 20% longer.
- Inspect the tyres again for any cracks or uneven wear they may have incurred since you left home. Tread depth is important too. If it’s less than 1mm, you’re outside of the law and putting your safety at risk.
- Don’t forget the spare. Out of sight should not mean out of mind so make sure your spare tyre is inflated to the correct pressure and it is in good condition.
- Finally, give the entire vehicle another once-over before your return trip. See if the coolant, oil, or aircon needs topping up or regassing – high summer temperatures and long highway trips can take the kind of toll that doesn’t come with a smiling booth operator at the other end.
“The truth is when on holiday, we don’t want to think about leaving the beach, bush or whatever else to return home, but we do all want to get home safely. So take a few minutes to do these very basic safety checks and stop in at your nearest Tiger Wheel & Tyre for a quick tyre inspection and you’ll be good to go,” concluded du Plooy.
Visit www.twt.to to find your nearest Tiger Wheel & Tyre store and for information on products, service and special offers.