Johannesburg, South Africa, 4 March 2015,– TomTom (TOM2) today launches a new navigation app with TomTom Traffic in South Africa. People can now experience TomTom’s premium navigation and real-time traffic information, driving up to 75km every month at no additional cost. * Drivers can upgrade to unlimited driving with a simple in app purchase.
Sharing the same user interface as the award winning TomTom GO satnav, the mobile app now helps drivers get to their destinations faster, every day. With offline Maps, TomTom Traffic, superior routing and Speed Camera warnings, the app is the ideal travel companion for mobile users. The new app features a global map licence so South African drivers can use it all over the world ** even without a network connection***.
“The TomTom GO Mobile app for Android is made for drivers who want to experience the best of TomTom on their smartphone,” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director, TomTom Consumer. “We entirely rethought our Mobile solution so every driver has the chance to try navigation with TomTom Traffic. Now all android owners can avoid the traffic jams and get to their destinations faster, every day.”
The app is free to download, and users can drive every month for 75km at no additional cost****. Users can also choose to subscribe to unlimited driving for one year or for three years as needed.
The app is now available to download from the Google Play store for free.
In-app purchase for unlimited kilometres
- 12 months = R249.99
- 3 years = R549.99
Smart phone requirements:
Drivers need a Gmail account and a phone with Android v4.0.3 or higher and a screen resolution of 800 x 480 pixels or higher.
Current users of TomTom Navigation App:
- The old TomTom Navigation App is no longer available for sale on the Google Play store in South Africa.
- Current users of the old App can still find it in ‘my Apps’ on the Google Play store.
- There will be no additional map updates on the old TomTom Navigation App.
- Drivers who have purchased a TomTom Traffic and Speed Cameras subscription will still receive these services for the current time.
- Existing customers will receive a three year unlimited navigation subscription for the new TomTom GO Mobile app for R10.00.
TomTom GO Mobile app features:
- Lifetime TomTom Traffic: Always drive with real-time traffic information for the lifetime of your app*****
- Tap and go: Tap one of your favourite destinations on the map, and you’re on your way
- Navigate to Contacts: Never memorise an address again. Select a contact from your list and the app will plan your route.
- Quick search: Find your destination faster with intuitive search results. Quick search starts to find your destination as soon as you start typing.
- Points of Interest: From petrol stations to hotels, your app comes pre-loaded with millions of useful POIs
- Lifetime Speed Cameras: Avoid speeding fines with accurate and timely speed warnings for the lifetime of your app*****
- Offline Maps: Maps are stored on your smartphone. So you don’t need an internet connection, or data roaming, to plan a new route or re-route.
- Lifetime World Maps: Always drive with the latest maps for over 100 countries******
For a detailed overview of all features and available maps, please go to:
The TomTom GO Mobile app shares the same user interface and NavKit navigation software as the award-winning TomTom GO satnav, as well as superior NavKit routing. NavKit is the foundation for almost every TomTom product that we bring to market, including Portable Navigation Devices (PNDs), in-dash automotive systems and smartphone applications.
* A mobile data plan with the user’s chosen mobile network provider is required in order to be able to access all of the features of the app.
** 111 countries in the world.
*** Drivers receive 75 free kilometres every month, which includes TomTom’s premium navigation, TomTom Traffic and TomTom Speed Cameras. On the first of every month the free 75kms are added to the driver’s app. These kilometres are not accumulated if not driven in the 30 days. A mobile data plan with the user’s chosen mobile network provider is required in order to be able to access all of the features of the app.
**** A network connection is required to access all features such as TomTom Traffic.
***** Check http://tomtom.com/19212 for availability per country. Services require a mobile phone connection. Your operator may charge you for the data used and costs may be significantly higher.