The most serious accidents on our roads are the head-on collisions. A visitor to the Arrive Alive website asked for more information to be included with regards to safety and passing other vehicles. We responded by developing a section of content on “Safely Overtaking and Road Safety”.
We have recently received photos of a horrific accident near Bloemfontein. This is an illustration of the fatal results from unsafe overtaking. The decision to overtake must not be taken lightly. The overtaking decision is a serious decision and the faster the traffic the more serious a decision to overtake is. We would like to urge all drivers to carefully consider this life and death decision.
Where should I not overtake?
It is best not to consider overtaking at these spots:
- On the left shoulder of the road
- Where a vehicle has stopped at a pedestrian crossing or a scholar patrol
- If overtaking can create a danger to any pedestrians such as in parking areas, building complexes, near schools etc
- Where the vehicle in front is slowing down at a YIELD sign
- Where the driver of the vehicle ahead is not able to have a clear vision of what is behind and passing.
- Where pedestrians might be moving between parked vehicles and passengers climbing from vehicles.
- Overtaking on crowded and busy city roads is dangerous due to numerous signals that are exchanged by drivers. Traffic congestion and different sized vehicles add to the problem.
- In blind areas such as bends in roads, corners, near junctions, crossroads, and intersections.
- In blind spot areas such as sharp curves or bends in the route, except where the road is wide enough to allow safe overtaking
- Where the vehicle in front is slowing down when approaching a hill or a blind rise
- If overtaking can create a danger to any oncoming traffic or the vehicle that is being overtaken
- Do not begin an overtaking manoeuvre near to the exit that you need to take.
In the above cases it is better to avoid overtaking and rather to enjoy a slow and safe drive.
View the Arrive Alive website for advice on Safe Overtaking