On the Car Insurance Blog we strive to do more than just discuss car insurance products. We also provide road safety information and advice that could help vehicle owners to avoid accidents. This also includes a special focus on vehicle maintenance and driving behaviour.
Earlier today a new section of content was added to the Arrive Alive Road Safety website titled “Wheel Balance, Wheel Alignment and Safe Driving”. Many vehicle owners have heard the terms wheel balance and wheel alignment – but has no understanding of what it really means or why this is important for road safety.
In this section w provide information to vehicle owners and urge them to pay closer attention to the wheels/tyres – the only vehicle components that are in direct contact with the road surface!
Dangers of driving with wheels that are out of balance
We would like to quote from this section and especially the dangers of driving with wheels that are out of balance:
* Wheels that are not balanced or are out of balance generally produce a vibration that is uncomfortable to drive in and negatively affects the handling of the vehicle.
* Unbalanced wheels place severe stresses and strains on the wheel bearings and suspension components.
* Steering components can also be damaged and all the parts may fail prematurely in extreme cases.
* Unbalanced wheels result in premature wearing of suspension and steering components, rotating parts and tyres.
* Unbalanced wheels increase the need for additional energy and increase fuel consumption.
* Ignoring the symptoms can be dangerous and expensive.
Conclusion and Advice
Vehicle owners often search for ways to save money on the road. The most obvious way to go about this is to consider the costs of fuel and also to reduce the costs of car insurance premiums. Sometimes small adjustments and increased focus on the benefits of vehicle maintenance are overlooked.
This neglect leads to the early replacement of other vehicle components – an unnecessary early expenditure!! Wheels that are out of balance should be taken to the tyre experts. This is an expensive process, taking less than an hour and has the potential of saving you from many other unnecessary expenses!!