We, Algoa Bay Council for the Aged,operate a 22 seater bus to transport the aged, who are members of ABCA, free of charge to various places in and around Port Elizabeth.
Do we need to obtain an Operating Licence from the DOT?
It depends what you mean by operator licence.
The vehicle will get an operator disc for category P-Passengers that is printed automatically upon licensing of the vehicle. This is because the vehicle is a heavy passenger vehicle. The driver of the vehicle must also be in possession of a Professional Driving Permit (PrDP) for category P in addition to a code C1 licence or higher.
The operator permit that is issued in terms of the National Land Transition Transportation Act (NLTTA) that is issued to taxis, busses, tour operators, etc is not required since you are not transport people for reward.
Kevin J. Kara-Vala
- Truck licences still valid for cars after review by Transport Department
- If You Transport people for reward you need a PrDP License
- How do you convert a foreign drivers license to a South African drivers license?
- Safe driving specialist challenges statements made by Joburg Metro Police Department
- How much fuel may I transport on my vehicle?