Please could you provide me with some information with regard to the use of the Safety Shoulder/Emergency Lane on national roads.
I have always used the lane, when safe to do so, to allow faster traffic to pass when necessary. Before doing so I will always ensure that I can see sufficiently far enough ahead to leave enough time for the passing car to get by before my view is compromised.
Recently, I was berated by a friend for doing so because he claimed that it was illegal to cross the yellow line. His view was that any passing motorist had to wait until a it was safe to cross the middle line and overtake on the right side of the road.
Please could you refer me to the appropriate legislation that defines what one is allowed to do apropos the safety shoulder/emergency lane.
Thank you is advance for your assistance in this matter.
Prohibition on driving on shoulder of public road, except in certain circumstances
1. Subject to sub regulation (2) and regulation 298 (1) (e), no person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.
2. Notwithstanding sub regulation (1), the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction
1. while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and
2. if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;
3. if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.