“Dear Sir/Madam I have over the last few years sent several written complaints to CK Travel and Tour of Durban about repeated incidents of their drivers using phones while driving. They always assure me how seriously they take the problem and that they have dealt with the driver concerned, but the cell phone use continues.
I am forced to take CK buses regularly as part of my work and am outraged at being continually subjected to this distracted driving practice which as I am sure you are aware is more dangerous than driving drunk and is implicated in 25% of accidents in this country. I would like serious action to be taken against this company. Please advise, thank you.”
With reference to your e-mail dated 20 April 2016 to Adv Jonck of Arrive Alive, I wish to respond as follows:
- SABOA (Southern African Bus Operators Association) is, as is the case with all trade associations, a voluntary association for bus and coach operators in South Africa. SABOA was established in 1980 and represents 950 bus and coach companies throughout the country. We are governed by a constitution and have a code of conduct and a road safety code of conduct that apply to our members. We represent our members at all levels of government and with other companies that are involved in the industry.
- The company CK Travel and Tours is not a member of SABOA and we will therefore not be able to approach the company regarding your complaint.
- Your complaint is a law enforcement matter and I would suggest that you report the matter to your local law enforcement agencies. You can also refer it to the following government bodies:
- National Public Transport Regulator, Private Bag X 193, Pretoria 0001.
- Road Traffic Infringement Agency, Mr Japh Chuwe, P O Box 6341, Halfway House 1685, Tel no: 087 285 0500
- Provincial Regulatory Entity (PRE) in Pietermaritzburg (Department of Transport) that issues operating licenses to bus operators to operate, tel no (033) 355 8600.
PostNet Suite 393
Private Bag X 033
Tel no: (011) 511 7641
Fax no: (011) 511 0007