It is important that anyone who wishes to tow a caravan or trailer does a bit of homework on the towing capabilities of his vehicle. A regular visitor to the Arrive Alive website sent a rather funny video clip on someone who did not do so!
Unsafe towing will not only pose the threat of accident risk and vehicle damage to your car insurer -but will also threaten your own life and that of other road users around you!!
There are rather specific regulations pertaining to towing:
The National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act No. 93 of 1996) and the National Road Traffic Regulations published in Government Notice No. R.225 of 17 March 2000 stipulate the regulatory requirements for Towing of Vehicles.
- Innovative techniques for towing a vehicle
- What is the requirement to exercise reasonable precautions in maintaining the safety of the vehicle?
- Is it safe lending your vehicle to World Cup Visitors?
- What are the length and overhang specifications for towing a trailer?
- Who is the reasonable driver when he drives near potholes?